Sunday, May 23, 2010

Saturday is for Sports!!


Wow, what a long day of sporting entertainment it was yesterday. I kicked off the day by enjoying a nice large Coffee at the Catalogna SoccerPlexe in Lachine. It was severely needed, as I was awoken in the middle of the night by my wife, who was awoken by the scary "screams" for help from my cat, who it turns out was going for a swim in my neighbors pool.

The poor little thing didn't know how to get out of the pool, and thank God my wife woke me up on time to jump the neighbors fence, jump into the pool (not yet de-winterized) and grab little Cim Bom and get him out of the water. I was about to give him animal mouth to mouth to breathe some life into the little guy when I realized he was ok, in shock, but ok.

In any case, little Cim Bom, who in reality is not that little for a cat, is doing fine and making a speedy recovery from the trauma he suffered going for a midnight swim.

Now back to FOOTY. The Champions League final was held on a Saturday this year, parting from the tradition of holding the final during the middle of the week. This way more folks were able to watch without skipping school or work for the day. A great idea, the only thing is for Montrealers' it wasn't the best timing possible, as the Montreal Canadians and Philadelphia Flyers game 4 was to be held at basically the exact same time. No trouble if you can multi-task by watching two TV screens at the same time, which I found out yesterday I can do, but damn does it take away from the interest in either game!!

Like an A.D.D experiment gone wrong my head was going bonkers, hearing "Hamit Altintop has the ball on the right flank, whips in a ball towards the Inter Goal." and what I am looking at is P.K. Subban skating behind his own net. Not the easiest thing to do but hey, that's the length a true Super Fan will go to to satisfy his sporting urges!!

Bayern Munich had the typical German organization and work ethic, and it looked as though they were going to be able to work one out, when Inters' Argentinian Striker Diego Milito stepped it up and showed world class finish by adding not one but two goals to his Champions League Final tally, putting the contest out of reach for the Germans. Jose Mourinho showed once again that he is "Fantastic". Taking a team to the Champions League Final and winning despite the strength of the opposition is something that Jose knows how to do. A master strategist who knows what he wants, its only a matter of time before he is offered big money by a national side, who is content on winning either the World Cup of the Euro, stay tuned and mark those words!!


Even though it was quite difficult to get a true sense of the game while trying to consume both the Habs and the Champions League final simultaneously, I have to say thank you to the staff at Catalogna SoccerPlexe for making it at least a possibility to watch both games at the same time.

I shall make no comment on the Canadians as a 3-0 drubbing at home is not worth commenting on, I am pretty disappointed with the HABS!!

I was also able to eat a lovely Chicken Sandwich with an abundance of golden crispy fries that I have to say was more than a generous portion for the price. Had it been a regular day I would have been downing it with a couple of pints of Bass, which they do have available along with a great variety of other drinks, yet I had a game to play later on at 9pm that night, didn't want to de-hydrate and play like shite now did I?

Turns out that I made the right decision not to drink any alcoholic beverages that day, because our team was in serious need of working legs. Down 4-1 with 15 minutes to go, I managed to net a goal bringing us to 4-2. The goal itself was a result of strong pressure on the goaltender, by yours truly, resulting in a turn over. Blocking the goalies clearance and passing it back to my Argentinian strike partner Dulio, he tapped it right back in my direction and all I had to do was chip it above the goaltender who was diving towards the ball. Now with 10 minutes remaining and two goals down we were awarded a free kick for a foul outside the area. The kick was delivered brilliantly by Fayce, towards Tom Cullen who had it go off of his chest and into the goal.

We immediately began pressuring the other team as they showed signs of nervousness. Pouring our midfield forward I received another golden pass from Dulio unleashing me onto the goaltender, on the penalty spot I ripped one over the goalies right shoulder and just like that from 4-1 down, in 15 minutes or so, we were level, and just on time, as the referees whistle blew literally 2 minutes after our tying goal. A well deserved tie, we are now beginning to find our rhythm and I cannot wait until our next game!!

The next game up for my viewing pleasure will be the Exhibition game tomorrow of ENGLAND vs. MEXICO. It promises to be a preview of both teams skills and an attempt at putting a starting 11 on the pitch that should more or less resemble the actual WORLD CUP Starting 11 for these two sides.

I will be watching the game at Kelly's Pub in Pointe Claire, feel free to contact me if you would like to join me for the game. The game will be at 21:00 English time which is 4pm Montreal Time. If I am wrong on the time I shall be sure to change it before tomorrow, I'll triple check later!!


1 comment: