Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Countdown Begins


Ah, the countdown to the World Cup, how long it may seem. The truth is it honestly begins the moment a World Cup Champion is crowned. 4 Years of long hard work, that is honored for a full 4 years, yet which can be fully enjoyed for but a couple of months, if that.

You see, football is a massive sport, one that brings in a serious amount of money and which in turn has turned it into a massive business. Most of the time clubs are vying for players, seeing who can purchase which player for which insane price, yet it all comes to a full stop when talking National Team Football. Your Country is your team, no ifs, ands' or buts' about it.

Club teams can often come into conflict with the National Team Coaches, due to the manner in which leagues, cups and tournaments overlap each other and create injury worries for teams, both Club and Country. Yet nothing can sum up the importance and feeling that both Players and Coaches, Club and Country, Fans and Professionals, feel about this moment in time that shows up once every 4 summers. The World Cup is truly THE PRIZE in Football!!

This year I am humbled to announce, that I Deniz Oliver, have won a competition with the Montreal Gazette to represent England as Montreals' ENGLAND SUPERFAN during the FIFA 2010 World Cup. I will be covering the FIFA 2010 World Cup with an emphasis on England, as I am an England Super Fan, but as well, I shall use this opportunity to cover some of the other matches as well, in an attempt to bring you some Montreal Ambiance reports. What I mean by this more specifically, is that I will be covering the 2010 World Cup from the Montreal perspective. Visiting different pubs, bars and viewing areas around the city looking to find the most exhilarating football atmosphere in Montreal. Covering not only the games themselves but more importantly for the Pub going patrons, the best spot for food, drinks, ambiance and in these economically draining times, best bang for the buck.

I look forward to sharing my experience with all you Football Fans out there, who knows perhaps we can get some more Canadians to start calling Soccer by its real name... FOOTBALL!!

I shall be meeting with the Montreal Gazette this evening to give them an interview and take some photos in my lovely England Kit. So it is safe to say, I am not really a neutral, yet I will try to be impartial during my coverage, operative word being try.

23 Days to go folks!! COME ON ENGLAND!!

No comments:

Post a Comment