Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Ultra Ambiance

This past Sunday I had the great pleasure of attending my first Montreal Impact game at the Saputo Stadium in the infamous Ultras Section 114. It was not the first time I've attended a Montreal Impact game, however it was the first time I have attended a game at the relatively new Saputo Stadium. It was also the first time I've watched a game with the Ultras Montreal in Section 114.

Prior to the game I was able to grab a couple of Pints with the Ultras Montreal at Bar 99 located at 4240 Hochelaga, just a few blocks away from the Saputo Stadium. I was not quite sure what to expect really. I mean, in Europe the Ultras are known to be quiet hardcore and tough on outsiders, in this city however the story was quite different.

Montreal only has one professional Football/Soccer team to support so I suppose the rivalries are not quite as fanatical as they are in Europe, or South America for that matter. I was greeted by a Portuguese lad who instantly began filling me in on some of the Ultras Montreal history.

The Ultras are a mixed bunch, there are no racial or language barriers to speak of. Although the majority of the Ultras spoke French to one another, there was no hostility to, nor were there any comments made about Anglo-phones, or any other race or language group for that matter.

Diverse and inclusive is a good way to describe the Montreal Ultras, they welcomed me to their group as if I'd known them for years. I decided I would reciprocate their warm welcome by purchasing a ULTRAS MONTREAL T-shirt. There were other items up for sale as well such ULTRAS scarfs and hats. I asked whether the Impact had approached them to market these clothing items, the answer I received was that they wanted to remain independent and in control of their clothing line, which sounded rather logical, business savvy and true to the ULTRAS culture. After knocking back a couple of cold ones we began to make our way to the Saputo Stadium.

Once we arrived we found out that there was a sellout crowd on hand for the game against the Carolina Rail Hawks. It was the first sellout crowd of the season! This forced us to look for tickets outside the official venue as Section 114 had been sold out. A word to the wise, show up early and grab your tickets as soon as the ticket counter opens to avoid paying double the 10$ entry fee to scrupulous scalpers. One scalper even tried to charge me 30$ for 10$ seats, meanwhile what looked to me like an 11 year old young boy came up to me and offered me the same Section 114 for 20$ a piece, needless to say I snatched them up while I could.

Tickets in hand, my lovely wife and I made our way to Section 114. Meandering through a Sea of Blue and White on the way to our seats I noticed how truly diverse the crowd was. Families, young children, teenagers, and dedicated hard core fans all mixed together to bring forth an incredible ambiance, one that any Montrealer would be proud to see. After all lets not forget that only a few years ago an Impact game would only draw a couple thousand supporters. With the MLS contract being signed, and the Impact entering the MLS in 2012, the enthusiasm seems to have picked up a few levels.

Once we arrived in Section 114 the show began. A cheer leader known as a "Capo", emerged at the front of the Section, elevated by a couple of steps, no doubt provided by the Football club itself, megaphone in hand he began to lead the crowd into a boisterous chant. Flags waving above my head, one of the Ultras handed me a Blue Flag. I began to wave it in unison with the other flag wavers, I was now officially a Montreal Ultra!!

The songs that were being sung mostly originated from France with some words changed around placing Impact and Montreal prominently throughout the chants. I suddenly felt home, I've always loved the ambiance surrounding Football, and had lacked it growing up in Montreal, now however things had changed, I had become an Impact ULTRA!!

Watching the game I noticed that the quality level of the Impact players had also picked up. Similar to the quality of some of the smaller European leagues, the Impact are no longer the B-squad they were once considered. I am also certain that once the Impact reach the MLS some money will be spent to bring in some star quality players, which will of course only improve the ambiance and quality of play.

Despite the quality of play the Impact went on to lose the game, and in all honesty, while in Section 114 singing ones heart out one hardly has time to watch the game. I know I know it sounds funny, I go to a game to show my support yet I don't really take in much of the game. Well thats just it, when STANDING in Section 114 your duty is to provide the support and encouragement that boosts the Impact above the opposing team. Section 114 is truly the 12th Man on the Pitch so to speak, and even though the Impact lost 2-0, I have to say that SECTION 114 was a blast and I will definitely be going back again, and SOON!!

Without further delay let me share Section 114, home of the ULTRAS MONTREAL, with all of you. Enjoy, I sure did!!

A big thanks to the ULTRAS MONTREAL you can check them out at www.ultrasmontreal.com





No comments:

Post a Comment